Friday, July 17, 2015

Glorious Liquid Gold

Despite our drought here in California and sever water cut backs. Despite the fact that both our hives swarmed because we let them get too crowded (the population got bigger than we had given them room for) and half our bees flew away. Despite the weeks that went by during which one hive had no queen laying eggs and a declining population. Despite all that, we just harvest 125 pounds of honey from our two bee hives, and there is a lot more still in their hives, and they are still bringing in the nectar. Maybe we'll still have more to harvest this year, maybe not. But wow. We have two nearly full 6-gallon buckets plus the quart jars we already bottled. I love our bees, they have been gentle and busy this year. We have enough to sell some this year and maybe recoup a little of the money we've put into those bees.
Bees and now chickens. Clothes hung on the clothes line. Compost bin constantly being turned and filled. Hand me downs. I feel so pioneer-ish. Thank havens for indoor plumbing, toilets, hot showers, electricity, automobiles, air conditioning. I love modern conveniences. A give and take. Pick and choose. Oh and clothes- scratch that, disposable diapers. Those are my absolute must luxury item. I don't want to live without them. I'd give up the dishwasher before I give up my Luvs. :) Seriously. 

1 comment:

Stacy Pettersen said...

That is great! We basked in the deliciousness of fresh raw honey this summer when Jon's friend brought some of his bees' honey to our reunion... amazing! I don't want to go back. Luckily, I scored some honey from friends in our ward recently who keep bees, but it won't last long. Beekeeping has peaked my interest!